Historic Odd Fellows Lodge
Friendship | Love | Truth
Welcome and Thank You!
The Sandy Spring Odd Fellows Lodge is a two-story, gable-fronted frame structure set upon a concrete foundation. The Lodge measures 27’ x 52’ and is two bays wide and four bays deep. The weatherboard walls are clad with asphalt siding and the roof is covered with sheet metal. There are two brick chimney flues projecting from the roof, one towards the front and one towards the rear. The Lodge was built between 1906-1909 and by 1920, the Lodge was fully functional. It has thus served Sandy Spring and surrounding communities for over a century. This piece of land was once a place for worship when the building of the oldest Black Church in Montgomery County - Sharp Street United Methodist Church - burnt down. It provided an invaluable space for a school, a home for a burial society, and was the premier gathering space for African Americans from all walks of life before it closed in 1975. The building is one of the last standing structures built by descendants of enslaved people in Montgomery and Howard Counties. The Lodge was the social center during the era of segregation and was the vanguard for the civil rights movement in Montgomery and Howard Counties, the Baltimore area, and Washington, DC. It is a heritage museum, highlighting the contributions of African Americans and minority groups in the County.
Continuing a century-old tradition, the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows Sandy Spring Lodge #6430 Inc. is committed to using the newly restored historic build as a safe space for education and dialogue to foster multicultural understanding.
Our Story So Far...
Over the years the Lodge fell into disrepair and decay and was abandoned. It became a neighborhood eyesore and there were attempts to demolish the structure. The Odd Fellows Lodge Preservation Committee intervened and petitioned the State of Maryland, Montgomery County, and private donors for funds to restore and renovate the Lodge. The painstaking endeavor of serval dedicated members of the Odd Fellows and friends, which employed the skills and experiences of local historians, architects, builders, public officials among others, has restored the Lodge completely to its former glory in 2016. Today, the newly-renovated Lodge is an epitome of the progress African Americans have made in the State of Maryland. The building is recognized as one of 25 African American Historic Sites in Montgomery County. (Ref.: the African American Heritage Trail).
The process of adding an indoor restroom to the Lodge and the global COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted plans for the reopening of the Lodge. The official opening, a virtual event was on February 2nd, 2022, which begins our celebration of Black History Month.
A glowing performance by Eunice L. Seagraves as Harriet Tubman at the grand opening.
The Historic Odd Fellows Lodge is reopened and serving the community again. Preserving the African American Heritage 🌍🤲🏿